Topic: "Just Starting Out." (page 1 of 2)

1 2 >
Author Post
unknown user
Hey all.
Im new to Bright Shadows and I am new to computer programming and I was wondering where I should start. I am using a mac however...is this going to be a problem? If so I can get my other laptop shipped to me. I am 18 years old and looking at college and hoping to become a computer engineer or programmer. Thanks for any suggestions.
_DeeJay
EMail
BaRa
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
Hi DeeJay,

First of all let us welcome you to our little community. Using a Mac shouldn't be a problem for most sections except maybe for the crackits. A good place to start are the Javascripts. The first ones are really nice warmups which can be done in a couple of minutes.
After that they get a little harder but still very doable. For the other sections you will need to do some reading to get started. A good way to get the hang of the cryptos is to read the Lanaki crypto lessons. Google will know for sure where to find those.
You can also spot the challenges which are not that hard by looking at the number of solvers. If you put some effort in it you should run through 50 or so challenges in a week. But it'll get harder after that. I am certain you'll catch the challenge-virus very soon.

Good luck with the challenges and have fun.

Greetings BaRa
private message
Erik
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
Hi!
QuoteQuote from BaRa:
You can also spot the challenges which are not that hard by looking at the number of solvers.
You can take a look at the Difficulty rating too.
Anyway you can sort the challenge list by difficulty or number of solvers if you want.

Cu, Erik :)
private message EMail Website
Phas(retired)
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
QuoteQuote from BaRa:
I am certain you'll catch the challenge-virus very soon.

And take care with the solution-virus, that one is dangerous!
private message EMail Website
unknown user
All I would like to say is that, you shouldn't get frustrated too soon. If you solve 60 challenges here
it's already quite an accomplishment. Which will take you days I'm sure if you are just starting out.

Don't be distracted by the fact that there are more than 5 times that many challenges.

solving the first 60 is what it is all about.
EMail
unknown user
Hey guys thanks for all the info.
I have another question any info on where i should start reading about the java cracking as this will be my first time messing around with this. I have started reading about java and learning what it does but im not sure where to go from there. Thanks again for everything and cant wait to get started.
_DeeJay
EMail
BaRa
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
There is a difference between java applets and javascripts. You should start with the java scripts for they are the easiest, the java applets need to be disassembled before you can proceed. Information about this can easily be found with google, the same goes for java scripts. It might be handy to take a gander at some code examples to get the feeling of the language. A reference is also always handy to have at your disposal. All can be found with google with minimal keywords as: javascript reference and javascript code examples.
private message
unstable
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
hi, welcome to our little community. I've started another thread with some pointers for mac users linkhere, hopefully it'll be useful to the mac users on bright shadows :).
private message EMail
unknown user
Hezzo. I just started and was wondering if other than bright shadows there were any site that contained useful information?
EMail
unknown user
Yes.
EMail

Topic: "Just Starting Out." (page 1 of 2)

1 2 >